Thursday, January 18, 2007

Summer fruit

I have just gone and bought a box of Sundrop apricots from a grower in Horotane Valley and they are FANTASTIC. I think apricots are my favourite fruit, although a fresh, ripe nectarine would run a close second.

Horotane Valley has always been the traditional place to buy apricots and it was absolutely beautiful round there today. Even though its a beautiful day there's a sneaky easterly blowing at work but round in the valley there was no wind, it was quiet and all very lush and green looking. All the properties have apricot trees growing everywhere and the orange fruit really glows in the sun.

I bought this box lot from a lovely old man near the top of the valley. You can also pick your own fruit but I really can't justify the time off work to do so. Its a lot of fun buying from the grower. When I said that I was wanting to eat them he swapped some fruit from other boxes over so that there was a lot of good eating fruit (as opposed to jam or bottling). Unfortunately, by the end of this week the fruit will be pretty much over for the season but then the apricots from down south will start coming in which helps to extend the season. But in the meantime we all stuffed ourselves with fruit at lunchtime.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh my oh my oh my those apricots look soooo yummy, great shot too by the by.

What a sweet man to change out some of them for you for nicer eating fruit. Sometimes its just worth the time just chatting with people isn't it?

7:22 pm  
Blogger Whispers in your ear said...

Great photo! Beautiful light.

1:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home