Friday, August 10, 2007

Reading list: July

I had forgotten that I was going to try to keep a record of what I've been reading. Just out of interest and not for any particular reason. Here's July's list:
  • N is for Noose (Sue Grafton)
  • Interesting Times (Terry Pratchett)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Janet Evanovich)
  • Married to a Bedouin (Marguerite van Gelderualsen)
  • Fish 'n' Chip Shop Song & other stories (Carl Nixon)
  • Full Speed (Janet Evanovich)
  • Four to Score (Janet Evanovich)
  • The Sword of Shannara trilogy (Terry Brooks)
  • The Fifth Elephant (Terry Pratchett)
  • High Five (Janet Evanovich)
  • Hot Six (Janet Evanovich)
  • The Iron Tree (Cecilia Dart-Thornton)
The length of this list was helped by the fact that I've rejoined the local library (it has also added to the late night problems mentioned previously).

Favourite book of the month: 'Married to a Bedouin'. Beg, borrow or buy this book - its fantastic. This is a life story. I felt it petered out a bit at the end but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. I borrowed it from my mother's friend but its one that if I see it in a second hand book shop, I'll buy it.

Worst book of the month: 'The Sword of Shannara' series - it was more a case of I over dosed on the series as I read it straight through. 3 fantasy novels in 1 go. Big mistake. I should have diluted them with other books so not the author's fault.

I sometimes get overwhelmed with the options when I go to the library so you can see a bit of a theme in my reading material. When I find an author or series I like I tend to read as much of them as I can. But I have learnt from my fantasy overload and I am trying to spread the authors out more. Any suggestions of favourite books and authors will be gratefully received.

Currently reading: 'Paris to the Moon' by Adam Gopnik and 'The Amtrak Wars book 2' by Patrick Tilley.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Whispers in your ear said...

You do read. Your July list is as long as my last-five-years list.

I recently read and enjoyed "The Girl With the Pearl Earring", by Tracy Chevalier. Very quiet. I also recently enjoyed Claire Tomalin's "Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self". It's a fascinating account of restoration England, though the man himself is rather hard to like - arrogant and violent to women, but a child of his time I suppose. I don't own either of these books, unfortunately.

In a failed attempt to change my ways by reading something from at least the last century, I embarked on "The Family Tree", by Carole Cadwalladr. AM had enjoyed this, but I found it utterly depressing, and had to give it away. I think women might enjoy it more than men - all the men in the book are either profoundly pathetic, or complete slimeballs. The writing is laugh-aloud funny, though, so I recommend it.

11:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home